BA PART I : PAPER 2.4
BRIHAT PARASHARA HORA SHASTRA
Chapter 8 Drishtis of the Rashis
1-3. Rashi Drishtis: O Maitreya, now detailed are thedrishtis emanating from the rashi Mesh, etc.. Every movablerashi drishtis the 3 fixed rashis leaving the fixed rashiadjacent to it. Every fixed rashi gives drishti to the 3movable rashis barring the adjacent movable rashi. And acommon rashi gives a drishti to the other three commonrashis. The grah in a rashi gives the same drishti as therashi (in which the grah is) does.
4-5. Dristhis of the Grahas: A grah in a movable rashigives a drishti to the other 3 fixed rashis leaving thefixed rashi next to it. A grah in a fixed rashi does notgive a drishti to the next movable rashi, but the remaining3 movable rashis. The one in a common rashi gives a drishtito the remaining 3 common rashis. Simultaneously, a grah inthe rashi that receives a drishti is also subjected to thedrishti concerned.
6-9. Diagram of Dristhis: As depicted by Lord Brahma, I nownarrate the diagram of drishtis, so that drishtis areeasily understood by a mere sight of the diagram. Draw asquare or a circle marking the 8 directions (4 corners and4 quarters thereof). Mark the zodiacal rashis as under:Mesh and Vrishabh in east;Mithun in the north-east;Kark and Simh in the north;Kanya in the north-west;Tula and Vrischik in the west;Dhanu in the south-west;Makar and Kumbh in the south; andMeen in the south-east.[addition Santhanam till chapter
9]:The drishtis (as per the earlier slokas) can be shown in asquare diagram or cicular diagram (as per convenience).
Chapter 9 Evils at Birth
1. O Brahmin, first of all, estimate the evils and checkingfactors thereof through Lagn and then declare the effectsof the 12 bhavas.2. Evils causing premature end exist up to the 24th year ofone's age, As such, no definite calculation of life spanshould be made till such year of age.3-6. Short-life Combinations: (up to sloka 23): ShouldChandr be in Ari, Randhr, or Vyaya Bhava and receives adrishti from a malefic; the child will die soon.If in the process there be a drishti from a benefic, it maylive up to 8.If a benefic is retrograde in Ari, Randhr, or Vyaya Bhavareceiving a drishti from a malefic, death will occur withina month of birth. This is true only when Lagn is notoccupied by a benefic.Should Putr Bhava be occupied by Shani, Mangal, and Suryajointly (early) death of mother and brother will come topass.Mangal placed in Tanu, or in Randhr Bhava and be yuti withShani or Surya or receiving a drishti from a malefic, beingbereft of a drishti from a benefic will prove a source of(immediate) death.
7-11. If Shani and Mangal give a drishti to Lagn as theluminaries are yuti with Rahu (elsewhere), the child willlive a fortnight.Immediate death of the child along with its mother willoccur if Shani is in Karm Bhava, Chandr in Ari Bhava, andMangal in Yuvati Bhava.One will immediately go to the abode of Yama if Shani is inTanu Bhava, while Chandr and Guru are in their order inRandhr and Sahaj Bhava.Only a month will be the span of ones life who hadSurya in Dharm Bhava, Mangal in Yuvati Bhava, and Guru andShukr in Labh Bhava.All Grahas (any Grah) in Vyaya Bhava will be the source ofa short life, specifically the luminaries, Shukr, and Rahu.But the drishti of these four grahas (on Vyaya Bhava) willcounteract such evils.
12. Chandr is capable of causing early end if she is with amalefic in Yuvati, Randhr, or Tanu Bhava and unrelated to abenefic.
13. Early death will come to pass if there be a birth in themorning or evening junctions or in a Hora ruled by Chandror in Gandanta, while Chandr and malefics occupy Kendrasfrom Lagn.
14. Definition of Sandhya: 3 Ghatis before the sight of thesemi disc (half) of the rising Surya and a similar durationfollowing Surya's set are called as morning twilight andevening twilight, respectively.
15. Early Death: Should all the malefics be in the orientalhalf, while benefics are in the occidental half, earlydeath of one born in Vrischik will follow. In this casethere is no need of any rethinking.
16. Malefic in Vyaya and Ari Bhava, or in Randhr and DhanBhava, while Lagn is hemmed between other malefics willbring early death.
17. Malefics occupying Tanu and Yuvati Bhava, while Chandris yuti with a malefic with no relief from a benefic willalso cause premature death.
18. Early death will be inflicted on the native ifdecreasing Chandr is in Tanu Bhava, while malefics captureRandhr Bhava and a Kendra. There is no doubt about that.
19. Chandr in Tanu, Randhr, Vyaya, or Yuvati Bhava, andhemmed between malefics, will confer premature death.
20. Should Chandr be in Tanu Bhava hemmed between malefics,while Yuvati or Randhr Bhava has a malefic in it, he willface immediate death along with his mother.
21. Should Shani, Surya, and Mangal be in Vyaya, Dharm, andRandhr Bhava without drishti from a benefic, the child willface instant death.
22. With a malefic in Yuvati Bhava or in the risingDreshkan, while decreasing Chandr is in Tanu Bhava death beexperienced early.
23. The life span of the child will be either 2 months or 6months only, if all grahas devoid of strength are relegatedto Apoklima bhavas (i.e. Sahaj, Ari, Dharm, and VyayaBhava).
24. Evils to Mother: (up to sloka 33): The mother of thenative will incur evils (will die soon) if Chandr at birthreceives a drishti from three malefics.Benefics giving a drishti to Chandr will bring good to themother.
25. Should Dhan Bhava be occupied by Rahu, Buddh, Shukr,Surya, and Shani, the child's birth has been after itsfather's death, while even the mother will face earlydeath.
26. If Chandr is in the 7th or the 8th from a malefic, beherself with a malefic, and receives a drishti from astrong malefic, predict mothers end to be early.
27. The child will not live on mother's milk, but on thatof she-goat if Surya is exalted or debilitated in YuvatiBhava.
28. Should a malefic be in the 4th, identical with aninimical rashi, counted from Chandr, while there is nobenefic in a Kendra, the child will lose its mother in apremature manner.
29. Malefics in Ari and Vyaya Bhava will bring evils tomother.The child's father will receive similar effects if Bandhuand Karm Bhava are captured by malefics.
30. Buddh in Dhan Bhava, while malefics occupy Tanu andVyaya Bhava: this yoga will destroy the entire family.
31. Guru, Shani, and Rahu respectively posited in Tanu,Dhan, and Sahaj Bhava, will cause mother's death early.
32. Doubtlessly the mother will give up the child if it hasmalefics in Konas counted from the decreasing Chandr. Nobenefic shall be yuti with the said malefics.
33. If Mangal and Shani are together in a Kendra withreference to Chandr and occupy one and the same Navamsh thechild will have two mothers. Yet it will be short-lived.
34. Evil to Father: (up to sloka 42) One's father willincur early death if Shani, Mangal, and Chandr in theirorders are in Tanu, Yuati and Ari Bhava.
35. The native will at the time of his marriage lose hisfather if Guru is in Tanu Bhava, while Shani, Surya, Mangaland Buddh are together in Dhan Bhava.
36. Early loss of father will take place if Surya is with amalefic or is hemmed between malefics as there is anothermalefic in the 7th from Surya.
37. Remote will be the possibility of one's fathersustaining if Surya is in Yuvati, while Mangal is in Karmand Rahu is in Vyaya Bhava.
38. Early and troubled will be one's father's death ifMangal is in Karm Bhava identical with his enemy's rashi.
39. Chandr in Ari Bhava, Shani in Tanu Bhava, and Mangal inYuvati Bhava: this array of heavenly bodies at birth willnot ensure a long span of life for the father.
40. If Surya receives a drishti from Shani and be in Meshor in Vrischik Navamsh, the father would have given up thefamily before birth of the child or would have passedaway.
41. If Bandhu, Karm, and Vyaya Bhava are all occupied bymalefics, both the parents will leave the child to its ownfate and wander from place to place.
42. The father will not see the native till his (thenative's) 23rd year if Rahu and Guru are together in aninimical rashi identical with Tanu or Bandhu Bhava.
43-45. Parents: Surya is the indicator of father for allbeings, while the mother is indicated by Chandr. ShouldSurya receive a drishti from one or more malefics or behemmed between them, this will cause evils to father.Similarly, Chandr be considered in respect of mother.Malefics in the 6th, the 8th, or the 4th from Surya willbring inauspicious results about the father.Malefics in such places from Chandr will be adverse for themother. The strength or otherwise of the occupantsconcerned be suitably estimated.
Chapter 10 Antidotes for Evils
1. Those are the evils (due to a native). I now narrate theantidotes for such evils as well, which will be helpful toassess the extent of inauspiciousness.
2. Should one among Buddh, Guru, and Shukr be in an anglefrom Lagn, all evils are destroyed as Surya eliminatesdarkness.
3. Just as a single reverential obeisance before Lord Shiva,the Trident holder, frees one from all sins, a single butstrong Guru in Lagn will ward off all the evils.
4. Lagn lord is singly capable of counteracting all evilsif he is strongly placed in an angle just as Lord Shiva,the holder of the Bow, destroyed the three cities built ofgold, silver, and iron for the demons by Maya.
5. All evils are destroyed if a benefic drishties Lagn ofone born during the night in the bright half. Similarly, amalefic's drishti on Lagn of one born during day time inthe dark half.
6. Surya in Vyaya will confer a hundred-year life span onone born in Tul Lagn.
7. It will prove auspicious for the mother as well as thenative if Mangal joins or is drishtied by Guru.
9. If malefics are surrounded by benefics while angles ortrines are themselves benefic-occupied evils disappear soon.Not only this, evils will not follow from the bhavas concerned.